Log cabin bearers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I inherited a Dunster House long cabin that has been installed on a raised concrete base surrounded by lawn - floor bearers directly on the concrete and floor on top. I’m unsure if DPC was used.

The base is bigger that the frame (which it shouldn’t be) so rain water drips and splashes the bearers. Could I just cover the concrete that’s exposed with s deep layer of decorative gravel/stones? I would use some wooden log edging as a sort of fence to stop the stones getting on the lawn. Would it matter that the gravel was in constant contact with the bearers? If so, could I staple some DPC to the base, creating a ‘skirt’ before laying the gravel/stones?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but would think it better to maintain an airflow underneath, could you post some pics so folk have a better idea?

This is the layout of the bearers and it’s the highlighted part that’s a bit damp. There’s no airflow as such except underneath the floor. I can’t get my hand under the cabin though if that makes sense?

I was thinking of stapling the DPC to the bearers and cover the concrete entirely. Then adding some gravel over the top to make it look a bit nicer. That should stop the splash back and stop the bearers getting sodden?

I can get some actual pictures of my idea once I get home.

Attachments

• 85943488-078A-4C9C-A605-450922B35168.jpeg
    85943488-078A-4C9C-A605-450922B35168.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 144

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back