Log-cabin & decking

Wiz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All...
i'm about to embark on a journey im not sure i'm going to enjoy or do well at, but i will still give it a jolly good go lol
i need to buy and fit a log cabin (12ftx10 ish) and deck the rest of the space (around 1.4m X 3m)
anyone would be able to provide advise on what kind of base i should be using? is concrete the best way to with this? this might work out to be very expensive compared to bearers for both the cabin and the decking...
i want a good solid base, so if i have to spend the money to get this then be it, but if the bearers are as good then i might as well...
cheers for any input in advance. :cool:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Richard,
thats fine i have read those before and i dont need any planning permission i dont think.
cheers for the input :)

Check out the regulations for outbuildings;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/
& decking;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommondecking
before you go ahead; these have changed & can now invlove PP & even BR's Building Regs unless you meet certain requirements.

hi,

Because of the size of building you do not need building regs involved. The best and cost effective way is whats called 'Pads and Subframe' this is done by 1st laying 'Pads' which are solid concrete 4" blocks at set intervals (amount of pads depends on size of timbers used for subframe) this is a great way even if ground is unlevel. you dig down until you hit solid ground or 3ft what ever comes 1st then fill with concrete then place block on top.
With the subframe either 3x2 or 6x2 tanalised timber you build a frame work to sit on top. If you require plans will be more than happy to spply them free of course. Let me know! :D

Sponsored Links
Hi,
cheers for the comment, to be honest i think i would need the plans, it would probs make more sense to a building idiot like me. give me a PC and i would take it apart and rebuild it in a few minutes, ask me the difference between a pad and a frame, and i would scratch me head for a few minutes beforw googling it hahaha
would i use the same base/ frame for both the cabin and small decking area?

hi,

Because of the size of building you do not need building regs involved. The best and cost effective way is whats called 'Pads and Subframe' this is done by 1st laying 'Pads' which are solid concrete 4" blocks at set intervals (amount of pads depends on size of timbers used for subframe) this is a great way even if ground is unlevel. you dig down until you hit solid ground or 3ft what ever comes 1st then fill with concrete then place block on top.
With the subframe either 3x2 or 6x2 tanalised timber you build a frame work to sit on top. If you require plans will be more than happy to spply them free of course. Let me know! :D

give me a PC and i would take it apart and rebuild it in a few minutes, ask me the difference between a pad and a frame, and i would scratch me head for a few minutes beforw googling it
Believe me there is not a lot of difference :LOL:

I'm looking to do the same I'd like plans to pls if you wouldn't mind many thanks

I'm looking to do the same I'd like plans to pls if you wouldn't mind many thanks

This thread is 6 years old. The website of the person offering the plans no longer exists and their Facebook page is permanently closed.

But, you might get lucky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back