log cabin foundation solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We inherited an large old cabin in our new house, but it was listing several inches and the so called 'foundations' were just 3x2 lengths running parallel to the floor joists! Nothing running crossways.
Should I dismantle the cabin and start again? Hire a crane to lift it up in one piece? Or get creative?
Plastic risers from Jouplast, rated at 500kg crush force, they were going to be the solution. Plus four scissor jacks and some sturdy angle steel to spread the forces on the jacks.
Result, total success, cabin no longer lists. Pictures attached.
I had my doubts about these risers, I thought they would collapse under the weight. I called the cabin maker, who informed me the total weight would be around 1500kg. I have a total of 15 risers, that should make each riser taking about 100-200kg each.
Parts of the flooring were taken up and the joists supported with timber chocks.
IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_3174.JPG
IMG_3731.JPG
IMG_4373.JPG
IMG_6013.JPG
IMG_8906.JPG

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back