Log Cabin Insulation help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys/gals..

I had a log cabin installed in the summer from Dunster House,5m x 4m ..

Stunning looking,i have made it into a mancave,it has a home theatre projector cinema plus arcade machine,pinball tables etc...

No i have underfloor insulation but no roof insulation,i am now looking into it as we speak,the problem i have though is wondering what kind to get,as in Celotex 50/100 mm boards or Superquilt/Ecoquilt Insutaion Foil.

Can anyone advise me on which i should look into more,ive hit a brick wall with this,i hear pros and cons from both,since im out in it all the time,especially now during winter,i do feel the cold,hence why i want to install roof insulation.

It will be installed under the rafters then covered with plasterboard...

Any help would be appreciated...

Thank You

Sponsored Links
ok thanks ill go with the celotex 100mm boards....i was just intrigued to see the foil being held as far better than boards at nearly half the price and depth

Sponsored Links
ok thanks ill go with the celotex 100mm boards....i was just intrigued to see the foil being held as far better than boards at nearly half the price and depth

The foil is equivilent to a thicker roll of fibre glass, but the foil also needs an air space in front and behind it, so you really need to compare that overall thickness and not just the foil, and this is where foam will win.

The foil is equivilent to a thicker roll of fibre glass, but the foil also needs an air space in front and behind it, so you really need to compare that overall thickness and not just the foil, and this is where foam will win.

I think the drawings for the loft told us to use 150mm celotex between the rafters leaving a gap between the roof and board letting it breath and I think the other board is acting as a vapor barrier.

Seems to be working ok.

so foil deffo has to breathe top and bottom,but rigid can just be placed against the roof/rafters..

So i shouldnt have any problems with damp..

The cabin has air vents BTW just below the rafter line,neither will be covered or obstructed

Its the roof that needs to breath not the foil so it only needs a gap at the top.

If you ram it full of the other stuff the roof will not be able to breath.

thanks for the help man...im just gonna use boards instead now.....i just want to be sure that i can push the boards up against the roof,without a gap (or a very little gap) and it will be ok

Its not hard if you cut them tightish and push them flush with the bottom edge leaving a gap behind it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back