Log splitter switch question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wondered if I could pick your brains. I recently bought a log splitter and wanted to swap out the 2 handed operation to be one handed and a foot pedal so I can ensure a clean split (yes I acknowledge the safety is there for a reason and yes I'll be careful not to yam my hand between the wood and the pointy end).

Anyways, I thought this would be a nice easy project swapping a push button for a single pole foot pedal.

I opened up the control box, followed the power cable wires to a junction and saw that it was connected to the 12a push button. I undid the connector block, swapped it for the foot pedal (live in com, neutral in the NO). When hooking it all together and plugging in the power cable I seem to keep tripping the garage when pushing the pedal.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks Matt

Attachments

• 20220916_203659.jpg
    20220916_203659.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220916_203646.jpg
    20220916_203646.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20220916_203531.jpg
    20220916_203531.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
I've been really dumb... I've created a short and it took me writing this post to realise it! Don't play with electricity when you've got a head cold folks!

Is that bare earth wire from the T&E going to have some sleeving over it?

Haha yes.. My brain was full of cold when I was trying to do it and I should have just waited..

Ended up using 3 wago connectors so I could keep both the push button and the pedal connected, did end up having to solder an extension for the earth as I stupidly cut it too short in the end, but all sleeved and tidy now! Brain had a proper fart that night!

Sponsored Links
Hi Matt, I have the same requirement so wondering if you can share a diagram of your final solution. I seem to have the exact same original switch. I see two live feeds coming out of that switch into the motor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back