Long drain, double stub stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody :D

I'm planning our home extension and trying to figure out the best foul water drainage layout.

The idea is moving the bathroom upstairs, adding a cloackroom under the stairs and leaving the kitchen in the extension.

There would be one main drain and, because the highest branches downstairs are less than 2m above the underground main drain (and floor level is less than 1.3m above it), I believe I can use stub stacks at ground floor everywhere. Is this right?

Please see pictures below.

Can I simply go into the vented main drain for all the drains downstairs as shown in the third image?

Thanx for any feedback!

Sponsored Links
Yes but you should check with local public dept.

Use durgo valves on stub stacks make sure you have manholes at both junctions of stub stacks for rodding access.

Sponsored Links
A few more questions sorry.

make sure you have manholes at both junctions of stub stacks for rodding access.

Will I have to add rodding eyes at those junctions or will providing manholes there suffice?

Where rodding eyes are required, where do you recommend to put them exactly (on main drain, before or after the bend etc)?

Does rodding eye's entry point direction matter (sense of flowing or opposed to it)?

If you have manholes on the main drain at the junctions of stub stacks, you won't need rodding eyes as you will be able to rod back to stub stacks.

You can install clearing eyes on stub stacks as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back