Looking at changing this radiator but the pipes going into the wall are of concern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’m looking to change this radiator in my kitchen. I’m confident enough changing a radiator however I’ve never done one with these pipes going into the wall. I think they run off the main pipework, go though a wall and feed a radiator in my dining room. I’d like to replace all the piping as it’s covered in paint so I have got some copper pipe, two 15mm to 10mm reducing tees and some 90 degree angles, all push fit brass. My concern is the pipe that runs into the wall, as it’s covered in paint will I be able to connect it to a new tee? Or will it need replacing? If so Is this a job for a professional? Many thanks

Attachments

• F726F4B2-4EF9-4889-A81B-AE5EFF017CD1.jpeg
    F726F4B2-4EF9-4889-A81B-AE5EFF017CD1.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 328
Sponsored Links
Might be worth getting a professional in, as the radiator is 10mm with a tee off in 10mm which isn’t good in my opinion.

If they are just short lengths of 10mm and the rad on the other side of the wall isn't any larger than that one then it should be ok.

You will have to clean up any pipe that is to be inserted into push fit, sanded clean then some green scouring pad to polish up prior to using. Ideally you would want to replace all the 10mm from the tees just to be sure. How are you joining to the tees? I wold recommend they are soldered rather than push fit. You will also probably need to use new reducers in to the rad valves if they are being demounted.

Why would you want to replace that work of art? you might want to consider that TRV wont work properly in that location

Sponsored Links
If they are just short lengths of 10mm and the rad on the other side of the wall isn't any larger than that one then it should be ok.

You will have to clean up any pipe that is to be inserted into push fit, sanded clean then some green scouring pad to polish up prior to using. Ideally you would want to replace all the 10mm from the tees just to be sure. How are you joining to the tees? I wold recommend they are soldered rather than push fit. You will also probably need to use new reducers in to the rad valves if they are being demounted.

The radiator on the other side is a big one, at least twice the size of this one, possibly three times as big. I had purchased push fit everything to be honest, thinking this was the way to go. Do you not think it’s wise?

Not that it isn't wise, just won't be the way it should be. Push fit on show is also a dead giveaway that it's been DIY'd tbh. That and given it's 10mm then if it's copper it should really be soldered.

10mm pushfit with insert fitted = less flow rate going through pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back