Looking for 80/20 carpet supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to re-carpet the whole upstairs and stairs later this year. Just a quick google pulls up some stunning deals on a flecked 80/20 40oz carpet, like £11 sqm!
Obviously I need to locate a good fitter, but compared to J Lewis, say no more.
Is this normal, £11 per meter? What are other experiences with buying online? Suggestions for websites?
We would like to eliminate threshold bars, is this advisable? I have seen it done and not noticed any issues with crushing.
Only two of us, no kids to ruin anything.

Sponsored Links
I went to a local trade supplier, introduced by a friend with a furniture business. They do shops, offices, hotels, pubs and also sell to the public, but are at the end of a lane in an industrial estate. I bet there's someone similar in your region.

just a desk and a warehouse, and a stack of samples. No showroom. I was in and out in 20 minutes and spent £10,000. I imagine doing contract work with no shiny high-street presence or salesmen pares the price.

I picked up a couple of extra end-of-rolls cut to size as they were going cheap.

They were also cheap on the stuff that retailers make their money on, because the punter doesn't look at the headline price of underlay and fitting. I think the underlay was named after clouds or sky.

Need to re-carpet the whole upstairs and stairs later this year. Just a quick google pulls up some stunning deals on a flecked 80/20 40oz carpet, like £11 sqm!
Obviously I need to locate a good fitter, but compared to J Lewis, say no more.
Is this normal, £11 per meter? What are other experiences with buying online? Suggestions for websites?
We would like to eliminate threshold bars, is this advisable? I have seen it done and not noticed any issues with crushing.
Only two of us, no kids to ruin anything.

If you don't know carpets/product etc, but want an installation of decent quality on a tight budget, I would at the very least, speak to a quality carpet fitter who will probably be able to work with you to supply a specification that meets your requirements. A word of warning, fitters will generally work with product that they know has few issues with supply and that fits well, you are unlikely to get the choice that a retailer will be able to show you.

Another option would be to speak to a quality independent carpet retailer who will be able to explain why an £11m2 40oz 80/20 Twist seen 'on the internet' is a very different carpet to what you would pay for an average 80/20 40oz Twist at a carpet retailer.

There are many different grades of Wool and Manmade fibre, these grades of yarn will affect everything with regards to how the carpet will perform with regards wear, durability, appearance retention, cleaning, pile pressure, pile reversal and quite simply what it looks like on the floor when fitted.

In addition to the cost of the raw yarn, you will find a difference in the way the yarn is spun which will hugely affect wear and appearance retention, the guage will also have a strong bearing in the appearance and wear, in addition to this, the type of machine used to make the carpet can have a drastic affect on the products performance, all of this will also of course affect the price of the carpet too.

This is why you can find 40oz 80/20 Twists priced from £11m2 to £50m2 widely, in no way are these products comparable in quality, wear or appearance retention but they share a similar description.

To eliminate door bars, the carpet will either need to be planned/fitted in one piece through the door way, or alternatively the carpet can be seamed in the door way rather than have the threshold. In a light usage area, seams in door ways should not wear or open up, if they do, a threshold could be fitted in future. The carpet will not fit as tightly in the architrave of the door way if the carpet is seamed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back