Looking for advice on building a large shed base cheap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to build a rather large base for a shed or rather a couple of sheds. The area I'll be using is 16ft x 20ft although I won't be using all that space on the sheds.

Ideally I'd like to do it as cheap as possible so concrete is out of the question for an area that size.

Instead what I was thinking of doing was digging that area out by 6" to level it off and then using scaffold boards on their sides to make the sides of a raised box. Then I was planning on filling the box about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way up with mill waste, compacting it down and then a layer of sand and finally lay slabs.

Would this be okay and sturdy enough or would the wood just rot away and the whole things subside?

I can get milwaste, slabs etc easier and cheaper than I could do the area in concrete is what I'm thinking.

Also if my idea is okay, then what's the best way to set the scaffold boards in the ground to form the raised base so that they are sturdy?

Many thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what the scaffold boards are intended to do in this situation. If you are digging out first then the surrounding ground should be able to contain the subbase. If you are not going to dig out enough and you are laying slabs to a free edge, have a look here for better (longer lasting) solutions than timber.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag2.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back