LOOKING FOR HELP PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im new here,but would like to ask a question,
i painted my living room roof with wood and metal paint (dulux)
that was 3 weeks ago today,
i cant get rid of the paint fumes,
but i did buy the wrong paint i got hi oddor instead of low,
i have copd which is my lungs and the fumes are really knocking me ill.
i have been told to undrecoat the roof again and then apply 2 coats of matt emulsion ,
or paint it with this Gliddens Acrylic Eggshell pure white.
can anyone tell me if this cure the problem i have please,
i have tried the onions. candles, open windows fans you name it ive tried it.
hope some one on here can help me please
thankyou so much
Pep

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=279185#ixzz1PcMAhUep

Sponsored Links
The only thing that springs to mind is something like a de-humidifier or ioniser perhaps but really don't know if that will work. You could ring chemdry, they might be able to help.
Don't undercoat it you'll just make it worse. It should have a sealer coat applied before any emulsion, zinnsser allcoat would be good as its water based (i think) and will suffice as a finish.

ty for your reply
i got hold of a painter and decorator he he said undercoat it and then apply 2 coats of matt emulion which is what is happening now the roof near finished getting undercoated omg this better work hubby will end up in hosp lol
just mentioned ur message lol he went im not doing any more lol
i hope i get up tomm to no smell of paint will keep you updated on what happens
pep x :D

OK good luck with it but if its oil based undercoat its just gonna stink the place out again and its never a good idea to put water based paints over oil based, definately needs a sealer.

Er ... i presume you mean the ceiling (the flat bit on the inside as opposed to the pointy bit on the outside)?!

Sponsored Links
ok yep its the ceiling
what he is doing it in is this dulux primer undercoat i dont know about oil based there is no smell up to now ,if i get up tomm as gonna just leave it tonight with what he is doing now,
but any smell tomm then i will get a sealer what one would you say to get it will be from bq but must be low odor as i have copd
so if i had to do the sealer what goes ontop of that when dry ?? or is that it just the sealer.and then NO SMELL
this is driving me nuts lol but ty so so much for helping

went to try n read tin
And from what I can see on the tin it says
Dulux multi survace primer undercoat
low odor and brush can be washed in water cant see where to look to see if oil based
pep

If its a primer/uc its going to be water based but you can check on the tin, it will say clean up with water.
Still not the best thing to put over oil based paint because of adhesion problems mainly but it is low odour. Havn't got a clue about B&Q as i don't go in there, like i said allcoat would be best they might do it, don't bother asking them for suggestions either as they're clueless.
Any how good luck, hope it works out

O. k.
Just get some Crown Breatheasy emulsion and apply that over the top of the water based undercoat that's now going on.
Open the window and doors and get some good airflow through.
You need the air.

so im going on the right track here lol please say i am
now saying im doing right after this is on well tomm not today sick looking at paint lol,
i have 10ltrs of dulux pure brill white matt emulsion would this be ok to go on tomm once undercoat all dry
or have i to buy something diff
tell you anyone who paints etc for a living needs a medal
pep :D

sorry i just seen your post Growler

thankyou for helping out aswell
i will be dreaming of paint very soon lol

The dulux emulsion would be ok, the weak link in the chain is the primer over the oil based but there's nothing you can do about that now. Normally i'd say give the ceiling a quick rub down before the emulsion but with the COPD probably best to avoid the dust. Couple of coats should do it, cut in first, then i roll from just short of the cutting in to the centre then roll back lapping slightly into the cutting in, go halfway then do the otherside (again just lapping into where you've already rolled), then carry on from where you left off at the start. Dont try and push the paint too far as you'll get poor coverage and dont be tempted to go over bits that look like misses its often where the paint has dried, and don't forget a cup of tea when you've finished. Have fun

hi thanks again i will have a coffee lol
roller now the wood that is on is tongue n groove style
so u can use a roller on that ?? the matt wont be getting started till tomm
as this is making me crazy lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back