Looking for plumber in NW London to fix chilly shower!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Finding myself overwhelmed by the number of results I get when I google 'Kilburn plumber' and not trusting reviews all reading as if written by the same guy - wondered if anyone could recommend a plumber to come and look at a shower which is running cold in North West London?

Apparently (it's my sister's flat which she rents out - she's overseas - so tenants asking me to help) hot water working everywhere else including bath - just a problem with the overbath shower.

My sister wants me to use plumbforce direct but I've read that they take a massive cut from the plumber and their charges seem a bit steep (£75 + VAT per hour or part)?

thanks!
Bibi

Sponsored Links
Firstly a professional plumbing company in London has to charge enough to be profitable and to be able to pay competent staff.

Yes, you can get a "plumber" for £20 per hour but dont expect that they will necessarily be very good!

Also be aware that you dont seem able to state the make and model of shower and what the symptoms are.

Even the firm you mentioned has lots of complaints against them, just put their name followed by complaints into Google and see what you get!

There are even two on this site!

Tony

Thanks for replying Tony, appreciate your taking the time.

I didn't go into detail regarding the problem or the shower make because wasn't expecting anyone to diagnose or suggest a fix via this forum - I'm really just looking for a recommendation of a reliable plumber, so I can avoid going to an agency who take half the fee!

Not looking to pay peanuts, but my thinking was that if an agency charges £75 + VAT, then if I went direct it would be a bit less? Plus of course it's always good to go with recommendations, no?

Bit more detail on the shower below if it helps!

Thanks
Bibi

Lefroy Brooks shower - the manufacturer has suggested that the problem could be caused by one of the following things:

- There may be some plumbing debris in the system if the shower valve
was not flushed out correctly
- One of the non return valve could be stuck open / closed
- There could be debris in the Thermostatic Cartridge (in which case it obviously needs servicing and I have the instructions from them as to how to do this.)

Unfortunately experience of showers is that they are often very time consuming to repair, usually require second visits and can involve tiling and the problem of matching old tiles.

You are lucky in knowing the make. Most have no indication of maker and no spares available.

My suggestion is hat you ask the makers for details of their service agents. Most have independent service agents who will come with the spare parts. Its normal to replace he cartridge as they have usually jammed due to dirt or lime scale.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
With showers the problem is normally the thermostatic cartridge that needs replacing. These parts will need to be ordered.

If you ordered the part and had it in the flat then called a plumber to replace them over. Or you would be paying for more than one visit and even travelling time.

If you can post a picture of your shower, we can help you even more.

You might even have an electric shower which might mean complete replacement.

Don't forget what you spend is all tax deductable.

Andy

Thanks Tony and Andy

Your posts are kind of confirming my fears that this could turn out to be an expensive job! But good to try to do as much research up front to minimise the chances of it requiring repeated visits.

I'll ask the tenants to send me a pic of the shower and have asked my sister if she's got any further detail on the shower (it was only fitted last year so surely must have some kind of warranty).

Thanks again - still looking for plumber recommendation for Kilburn if anyone else is reading!

Thanks
Abby

Hi,

Finding myself overwhelmed by the number of results in North West London?

which she rents out - she's overseas - so tenants asking me to help..My sister wants me to use plumbforce direct but I've read that they take a massive cut from the plumber and their charges seem a bit steep (£75 + VAT per hour or part)?

thanks!
Bibi
any where near pimlico :idea:

Thanks for that. Anyone who does that kind of thing is a criminal - no other way of calling it.
Unfortunately, London is a hot market for the building trades so every crim & chancer for miles around is there pretending to be something that they are not.
Fair play, & fair pay, to the honest traders cause London can be a nightmare for jobbing work - try parking etc.

FWIW: in my experience virtually all trade reccomends are fake like the shadies who post them.

Fair play to you Agile, I read your earlier comments, & they were spot on with an honest price, & excellent practical information.
777 is probably some ignorant whack job troll.

£25 to leave site to collect a part is cheap,considering a rival london company charges up to £80 +vat then adds on a part/material mark up of 25%

The rival company has all their charges listed,so no surprises for the customer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back