Loose front doorstep and pointing patio - basic questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a loose concrete flag which is my doorstep. I need to fix it back. What should I use (difference between concrete, mortar and cement?) and is there a particular technique? eg Several good dobbets or a smooth layer round the edges?

Secondly, I want to improve the look of my patio which is Yorkshire Stone flags as I am selling the house soon. I'd like to repoint and am hoping I can do the brush in dry mix technique rather than endless kneeling and trowelling.

Again - comments on what medium to use and which technique is best would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
For your step if the flag had simply become loose of the mortar bed and the bed is flat and in good condition it can be easiest to use some tile cement. Brush both bed and flag scrupulously clean and then apply a thin 2-3mm layer of runny tile cement and set the flag back in the original location (must be the same orientation as it was too.)

This will not work if the bedding is damaged at all in which case relay the flag on a wet mix of 4 parts building sand to 1 part cement. Aim to cover the entire area with a 30mm ish bed of the mortar or whatever height you need to get it back in the right position.

To get the tile back to the same height it was previously you will need to chip off the old bedding material and go gentle with a sharp bolster/chisel so as not to disturb the rest of the step.

As for the patio if you want a dry brush in product use marshalls weatherpoint/ jointex/ easyjoint etc. They are much more expensive than brushing in sand and cement but will do a far superior job. The old brush in dry mix and water with a can is a total bodge and will last a few months at best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back