loose tap spout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a monobloc mixer tap and the spout wobbles slightly when you turn it. I've tried tightening the allen key bolt at the back but it is as tight as it will go (so much so that the head of the nut is now rounded and won't turn anymore). There is still a slight wobble. I rang the manufacturer and they said that all spouts like this should be a bit loose to prevent rubbing inside the mechanism - is this true, or should it be more rigid? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I`m afraid it is ,and you`ve mullahed the hex-head screw so you won`t be able to change the O rings when they leak in a few years :cry: Repair the screw now, or if it`s a cheap mixer, remove and discard when the leaks start

The screw sits in a groove so the tap can turn - so tightening the screw has little effect on the wobble. It may be the O-rings aren't seated properly or there is one missing etc. Try another similar tap in the shop to see if they are all the same. Ask the manufacturere to send you a new set 0f O-rings and a new screw whilst they still have some - probably no charge.

cheers for the advice - they're sending me a new grub screw for the back of the tap, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get the damaged one out. The allen key part is rounded out so I can't actually turn the screw to get it out. any ideas how to unscrew a rounded allen key nut?

Sponsored Links
as I told(advised :oops: ) you to repair the screw now..............as it`s tight in , I would drill it out carefully with a drill of the same size as the rounded hole, then carefully tap an old screwdriver blade into the hole and try and unscrew it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back