Loss of Pressure in bathroom taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Please help!

I have just plumbed in a new bath and sink in the bathroom upstairs. The old suite had individual taps but we have just replaced them with mixer taps. The hot water pressure and flow has reduced drastically on both but the pressure on my hot kitchen tap is still the same (flowing through the the original single tap). In installing the mixers I have used flexible 15mm fittings to replace the 15mm copper tap tails there previously.

I think we have a low pressure system with two tanks in the loft and a hot water cylinder.

I am not sure whether its the taps or the flexible fittings??- could I just replace the bath mixer for two modern individual taps for the pressure to improve or should I also extend the copper pipes again and connect them directly? There hasn't been any loss of flow or pressure to the cold side of the mixers though.

Please help! :(

Sponsored Links
depending on your taps, a lot of taps now days will only work on mains pressure.

if you have instructions check what they say they are suitable for.

as for your flexis they are 15mm but internal may only be 10mm.

your bath taps should be 22mm pipework
your basin 15mm pipework

It's probably both the mixer tap and the flexi-connector creating resistance to the flow. Flexi connectors with metal brades have a rubber pipe inside which is a lot smaller than the inside of a 15mm copper pipe.
So start by improving the the piping and see if this improves things. You could use plastci pipe and/or push fits if access is a problem.
Also have used isolating valves - you can get ones with bigger holes.

Basically look down all pipes and taps and see what size the hole is !!
A lot of mixer taps are designed for high pressure use - most other countries use mains pressure hot & cold.

Thanks - its kind of what I thought but its the first time we have tried any plumbing. Unfortunately the tapes didn't come with any instructions (Ebay special!)

Would it help to swap the taps for more traditional ones aswell - just been looking at some basic ones at B & Q?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
but check first what pressures they will be best on if you have a gravity system you want 0.2 bar anything above 0.5 bar won't be any good.

and cartridge taps are no good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back