Loss of tv signal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was asked by a friend to run them a couple of aerial cables to 2 bedrooms upstairs (bed 2 & bed 3)
I'd normally install a booster in the loft and connect the incoming aerial to that and go from there but there existing setup already had the main aerial going direct to lounge with a further cable going up to bed 1.
With that in mind I installed the booster behind the TV and the 2 new cables up from there.
Tested tvs in lounge, bed 2 and bed 3 and all worked OK (signal on TV ranged from 70-80% on all).

Since I finished they have put a TV in bed 2 using the already existing cable. As soon as they turned it on the TV in bed 3 lost its signal.

I'm not really sure what I should check next. I'll redo the ends of bed 3.

As a side note when I arrived they were complaining the TV in lounge kept cutting out on certain channels. When I checked they had the cable fed from bed 2 plugged in as if it were the main aerial and they had a decent signal on most channels.

Any ideas what could cause that

Sponsored Links
My first thought is a mast head amplifier which is not getting power when using the bed room TV's. There are two types of wall socket, one with bits to stop you getting a shock from static build up on an aerial and one with nothing. The former will stop DC signals but not the AC signal from aerial. They are not required with a mast head amplifier.

The mast head amplifier can be feed with power either from a stand alone power supply or from the TV. I had loads of problems in my mothers house, I was it seemed chasing my tail, when I switched off and tested all seemed OK, switch back on and all OK, hour latter not working again. Turned out to be the power supply, her TV can be configured to power mast head amplifier directly set TV to do that, and touch wood no more problems.

Reading what you say first you say all worked, then you say one TV failed and with a powered splitter should not be lack of signal so seems likely something on it's way out and failing after a set time.

Replaced cable between lounge and bedroom and problem solved. Checked old cable and looked ok but was obviously causing the issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back