Loss of Water from Oil Fired Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

If a the water in a central heating system was to escape due to a leak what would stop the boiler from overheating ?

Would the temperature in the boiler simply rise up to that set at the overheat thermostat and then shut down ?

Sponsored Links
Depending on what type of boiler was fitted and what system, but primarly yes. modern boiler would of kicked out on numerous thing tho before over heat due to lack of water, you've got flow switches, dry fire thermistor, pressure sensors. Why?

We have a Grant Vortex Condensing System Boiler on a sealed system.

I happened to read the instructions for the latest model where it recommended that a low pressure switch in the central heating pipe work.

In the event of a pressure drop ( loss of water ) this would shut the boiler down.

I think that it may be a requirement when there is plastic pipe work included as part of the central heating system ?

Sponsored Links
A system boiler by defination is sealed and should come with all the necessary safety devices fitted as standard. I never had any dealings with grant boiler so do not know the full workings of them. But i would of thought unless you've had the system upgrade, not the boiler to sealed ( by this i mean a external pressure vessel, PRV etc then your boiler should be fine. If your unsure i'd speak to Grant and upon you giving them the model number etc will be able to tell you exactly the right course of action if any. good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back