Low HW pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hot water system is indirect and I get a decent flow to the bathroom sink and bath. However, since I had a new kitchen fitted a while ago, the hot water pressure to the mixer tap has been poor and seems to be getting worse. The cold water flow is OK but is direct off the rising main so it should be.

I've tried swapping over the supply pipes and the effect is the same. I've also tried forcing cold water back up the pipe under pressure and this does help but not for long. Is it possible that there's a blockage somewhere, or have I got the wrong taps fitted?

Sponsored Links
Is your mixer tap for capable of of taking low pressure or is it for mains fed. not all taps suit all hot & cold water systems ;)

Whats the difference in height between the taps and the cylinder? No change from previous? Additional elbows, bends and fittings may be reducing the flow. Check valves or small bore isolating valves will also reduce the flow.

Whats the difference in height between the taps and the cylinder? .....
It's the height difference between the Cold Water Storage Tank and the tap that determines the pressure. The position of the hot water cylinder is immaterial, unless taken to unrealistic extremes.

Measuring (or guesstimating) the vertical distance from CWST to the tap in metres, and dividing by ten will approximate the water pressure in Bar. For a 2 storey house, the usual result is between 0.2 and 0.5 Bar. Many mixers are designed for pressurised systems, and require a minimum working pressure greater than 1 Bar. The minimum recommended pressure for your mixer is usually shown in the instructions or on the packaging.

Sponsored Links
True Tickly, but i was thinking Fortic.....had that in my head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back