Help with an outside tap and poor pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, First timer posting on here but I need some advice.

I've tried to use the garden tap for the first time this year(turned off over winter) and the water flow out of the tap really poor compared to last year. Our garden tap runs from the pipes under the kitchen sink. We had a new mixer tap installed in October and the water flow out of the cold tap is brillaint as to the hot tap.

However the ouside tap and associated pipe is attached to the cold water pipe that leads to the mixer tap but as I've said there is not a lot of water flowing out.

At the same time as the mixer install we had a power shower fitted in the upsairs bathroom this is driven via our combi boiler downsiars. We have decent pressure within the boiler and the shower works fine.

So why does the garden tap run poor even though it is linked to these other taps. Ive tried shutting off the supply to the mixer tap and the washing machine using the various valves in the pipes but still no joy.

Please help

Sponsored Links
is the shut off valve to the outside tap fully open? Has the outside tap got a non-return valve in it and this has stuck?

Isolate water to outside tap, take off tap head undo guts and free the washer that will be stuck (ie come off end of spindle) Turn it over or fit a new one then replace.

O ring on non return will have pushed out and jammed the check valve after frost. Fixed many a hose tap with this problem.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back