Low pressure at shower head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
first post please be gentle.
My problem is low pressure from the shower head - everything was fine till last Thursday. I've tried a search but no joy.
My home is new build - 14yrs old. Boiler is not a combi. All hot taps are fine. Cold from shower head is fine but there is almost no flow of hot water. The fault happening with no warning.
A big clue I think is that if I lower the shower head from 6' down to 3' there is a much better flow - maybe even normal. I've told my wife to just get down on her knees but I can't print the response!

Any help is appriciated, Kev

Sponsored Links
Is the cold water mains fed or from a loft tank?
Do you know if you have a pump on the hot water to the shower?

Hi Richard

I have two tanks of cold water in the loft - one about a quarter the size of the other.

I dont believe there is a pump for the hot water for the shower but you've got me thinking. I will look in the morning

Thanks for your time

Kevin

Please state make and model of shower and, ideally, the boiler too.

Also whether or not you have a hot water cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Hi Softus

The bolier is a Potterton Prima f

The shower mixer is a mira 88

Yep I have a hot water tank on the first floor

cheers Kev

Do you have the answer to Richard C's question about the pump?

Meanwhile, since you believe that lowering the shower handset by 3' regains normal flow, then can you confirm whether or not the mixed temperature is controllable when it's at that lower height?

Other things to check:-

Ball valve in old storage cistern is not sticking.
Whether or not the flow from a hot tap at the same level has been affected.
Remove the shower handset and see if the flow from the hose 'appears' better.

Have you done, or had done, any plumbing work recently?

Edit: oh bum - gavinda got in there with the shower head thing.

check the bottom of your storage tank and check theres no obstructions on the draw off. also remove your showerhead and see what the flow is like. if it improves id suggest soaking the sowerhead in vinegar ( any type apart from balsamic!) or even replace the showerhead.

if you replae the head dont just choose a cheapy as the quality of the head you get can make a huge difference to your shower.

Gents

you're not going to believe this. I've just been upstairs and the showers back to normal! It may even be a bit better!

Don't know what to say. I took today off work to sort it. I live with four females and the pressure was on me (unlike the shower) to fix it.......

Should I laugh or cry? Any advice.

Kev

Whatever was restricting the head of pressure you need for the shower to flow effectively has obviously cured itself; could be any of the things already mentioned, any pump started working again; stuck ball valve in loft tank freed itself; doesn’t mean it won’t happen again though!

Yep

Basking in glory but hopeing it won't come back to bite me..........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back