Low pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pressure in my boiler keeps dropping - rapidly. Can go from 1 to 0 in about 24 hours. Can that cause the boiler to consume more electricity?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No...

You have a leak, or your system is blowing the PRV losing the pressure.

What bar/pressure is your system running when on and hot? You will have a gauge somewhere.

No...

You have a leak, or your system is blowing the PRV losing the pressure.

What bar/pressure is your system running when on and hot? You will have a gauge somewhere.

There is no leak. The boiler is on all day. It's a NIBE F205 so it has to be on all day. Pressure just keeps dropping. It never goes up.

What's the PRV?

Pressure relief valve,

If the pressure isn't rising to over 2.5 bar when the system is hot, you have a leak or the PRV is leaking/passing.

You should have a bit of copper poking out the wall outside, maybe near the boiler.

Put a bag over is for a few hours to see if it's leaking.

Sponsored Links
Pressure relief valve,

If the pressure isn't rising to over 2.5 bar when the system is hot, you have a leak or the PRV is leaking/passing.

You should have a bit of copper poking out the wall outside, maybe near the boiler.

Put a bag over is for a few hours to see if it's leaking.

Thanks. I live in a block of flats. I'm not on the ground floor so won't be able to get to the copper pipe. Two plumbers have been to say me in as many weeks. They can't figure out what's happening...

Do you have a red vessel thing and a brass thing with a gauge on it in your airing cupboard?

You will still have a prv and will probably discharge outside, you may have some pipes sticking out at ground level with a metal cage round it.

Pictures will help.

Do you have a red vessel thing and a brass thing with a gauge on it in your airing cupboard?

You will still have a prv and will probably discharge outside, you may have some pipes sticking out at ground level with a metal cage round it.

Pictures will help.

There isn't a red thing with a gauge on it. I'll see if i can find the thing outside tomorrow.

I don't know if any of yoy sre familiar with Nibe boilers. They take excess heat from the air in your home and then convert it to heat water for your hot taps and heating. If there isnt excess heat, it uses an immersion heater.

Why is it important to make sure the boiler pressure isn't low?

I called NIBE today and the guy on the phone said something could be wrong with the expansion valve. He also said the low pressure could cause a rise in electricity consumption. They advised me to call the landlord again. The housing association have sent a plumber round twice, and they've not been able to detect a problem :confused:

I haven't had any luck finding the thing outside.

Due to the lack of information I asssumed your system was a standard one, I don't know anything about your system.

So I'm out, sorry.

Due to the lack of information I asssumed your system was a standard one, I don't know anything about your system.

So I'm out, sorry.

Thanks, anyway.

The plumber last came on Monday. It is now Wednesday and still no news from the plumber or the landlord for that matter. I spoke to the building manager who said he'd let me know as soon as he heard from either of them. The building manager and the plumber both said they don't know what the problem with the boiler is. Earlier the building manager told me the plumber said he was trying to get hold of NIBE. I called NIBE myself yesterday. Got through to someone within a few minutes. I don't know if this plumber really is trying to get hold of them at all. Anyone have any advice? It's freezing. I've got my temp set to 22 degrees, and I'm still cold. The radiator in the living room is cool at the bottom and hot at the very top. When I tried to bleed it, only water came out. The other day, the plumber took off the TRV ond put it back on. He said sometimes the pin in it gets stuck and that could be why the radiator is cool at the bottom. The building has existed for 2 years now. It wasn't lived in prior to when I moved in in December.

If you have a leak, there is no pipe leading outside.

If you remove the bottom panel, look at the bottom-left, there is a plastic tray that the PRV dumps water in to.

FYI - this tray is known to not drain very well, or the PRV pipe misses it completely, and flooding can occur.

I'm not sure how you can monitor if this tray is filling too often.

Your housing association needs to send a plumber with NIBE training. Any body else tweaking with your unit will no doubt cause more problems.

Hope this helps towards finding the problem. Exhaust Air Heat Pumps (EAHP) are truly the product of the devil...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back