low voltage bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can some one tell me how far away should the xtractor be away from the shower. is it water proof. My grant people who istalled the wet room have installed one on the outside wall under the guttering I told them not to put it there because the guttering overflows when we get heavy rain but they did anyway, water came through it the other day like a water fall in throught the fan and all down the wall.
Is the fan now safe being electric and moters etc should I get it replaced will it blow up? help please realy worried havent used the lights or any thing in there just in case as it is wired into the light I believe.
It is a low voltage fan with a swith on the wall outside the room to turn on and off isolator I think.

Sponsored Links
Actually 240V is low voltage; 12V is extra-low voltage.

If you mean 240V then isolate it and don't use it.
There may be a switch somewhere.

If you mean 12V then it should not be dangerous but obviously it won't do it any good.
Where is the power supply?

Get them back to have a look.
You said 'grant' so shouldn't cost anything.
It cannot have been installed very well if water runs in.

It won't be waterproof but can't say how far away it should be as it should be suitably rated for its position.

Would it not be better to mend the gutter?

The guttering is fixed if it rains heavy or normal it fine but if it realy pours as it did it cant cope why we told them not to put it there in the first place.
Its a bungalow we live in the roof is huge.
There is no mastic around either inside or outside the extractor is a BES low voltage is what it says on it, isolator switch outside room is all I know, and they wired into the light.
THey could have installed it else where in the room to be safe as I say we did tell them before they fitted it, but it has been one problem after another with the company that fitted it. They tapped into our new central heating to put on another two towel rails in the room and a sink and shower, heating immediately started to crackle when on and not heating up, they said it was air, but it turns out they had got debbris into the open pipes they installed before knocking holes in the walls which has got debbris into my boiler causing a main leak in a seal now no heating or hot water, and the kitchen tap started to oply tricke out water when remove by plumber it was full off grit bits cement chunks in the strainer end and in the bottom bit around the seals and spout! the heatings been working fine until a few days after the turned the water on to the wet room...

Externally it should be sealed and water proof, what type of vent cover is fitted.
Fan motors are usually centre mounted and it's possible the water missed the sensitive parts completely, if you were lucky.

Sponsored Links
Its got a small about 6/8 inch fixed slot vent cover, rain actually poared through the vent like a waterfall with no exaggeration!

Its got a small about 6/8 inch fixed slot vent cover, rain actually poured through the vent like a waterfall with no exaggeration!

Has it been installed the right way? ie vents should point down

;) [/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back