low voltage dowlighters

the first set of lights you show also come as a set of 4, i have them fixed to the back edge of the "table" i am sitting at now.

There is a way round the plug in psu problem, (apart from socket) get one that can be wired in instead

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
yeah you plug the tranformer into a hidden socket controlled from a seperate switch

many people frown on putting 13A sockets on lighing cuircuits but i have done it in my own bedroom and i don't know of any regs prohibiting it

I am aware that you can pull a spur of a plug socket, a wire into a 3 amp Switched FCU and then onto the lights. But how would you pull a switch off a plug (in the same way?)

breezer said:
here is a way round the plug in psu problem, (apart from socket) get one that can be wired in instead

I've never seen the ones that you can wire in. Is the effect of these lights really good? Wouldn't mind some!!!! :LOL:

well you could put a socket on a lighting cuircuit as if it were a light fitting (though many sparkys dislike this i know of no reg that forbids is)

you could also wire the socket from a ring via a 20A dp switch or a fcu just like you do in the kitchen

plugwash said:
well you could put a socket on a lighting cuircuit as if it were a light fitting (though many sparkys dislike this i know of no reg that forbids is)

you could also wire the socket from a ring via a 20A dp switch or a fcu just like you do in the kitchen

Mmm Don't really understand that if i'm being honest. Do you mean for the FCU that being a switched FCU. So come of the ring to a Switched FCU (don't know what amp) and then from the switched FCU run the led wires into it? Or am i completely missing this one?

Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
switched fcu--hidden socket---plug in transformer---lights

andemz said:
I've never seen the ones that you can wire in. Is the effect of these lights really good? Wouldn't mind some!!!! :LOL:

here

its not a good resolution (too much bandwidth) but it gives you an idea, the speed at which the colours change is variable, but i had it on fast to save time

Thanks bas, thanks breezer (like the wmv) seem to give off a real nice effect, think i'll get some.

Where do you get small transformers that would do 20w? How much of a difference does it make?

Between 2 rooms i need 15 lights (15 60w transformers (the lowest I see) are nearly £100)

If I am wiring 9 20w lights in my lounge, will a 250w transformer not be plenty?

Also, Will 9 20w micro downlighters be enough light for a room for 14'11" by 13"

Should I get 12? I dont want to start cutting holes for 9 then realise I need more.

However, I dont want it too look too much (less is more and all that)

Also, (so many questions)

When bulbs in my house blow, the RCD's seems to trip. Is there a problem that should be investigated before installing downlighters or can this just happen occaisionally? Also, any ideas whay may caise this. My bathroom bulb blew right out the holder, cut a clean circle at the top of the bulb, some sparks.

Thw wiring is exactly how it was when I moved in.

:) Ok I can get 15 60w transformers for £77 but I still think its a lot compared to £13 for one 250w. :confused:

Wont the 60w transformers all be underloaded if there is one for every light at 20w :?:

breezer said:
andemz said:

here

its not a good resolution (too much bandwidth) but it gives you an idea, the speed at which the colours change is variable, but i had it on fast to save time

Brilliant!

Any idea if they have different coloured LEDs in them, or are those funky tuneable LEDs that output different colours from one diode?

LEDs will be a wonderful thing for home lighting. Especially on hot nights; sitting under all these halogens it's like a sauna in here. :LOL:

ban-all-sheds said:
andemz said:
I am aware that you can pull a spur of a plug socket, a wire into a 3 amp Switched FCU and then onto the lights. But how would you pull a switch off a plug (in the same way?)
What do you mean "pull a switch off a plug"?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?moduleno=35945[/QUOTE]

I had a look at the big picture of this, and it is supplied via an IEC connector. Are there any rules against having a flex outlet where the flex coming out of it has a connector at the other end? I can't think of any saety reasons why it wouldn't be allowed (would rather have an IEC connector get pulled out than bare wires) but thought I would ask.

andemz wrote:

Suggestion: Ring main > 3A FCU spur > 5A (lighting) junction box > transformer or socket(if plug in transformer)
Take a switch cable from junction box to switch location and wire as if wiring a light from a junction box.

the only problem i can possibly see with wiring in a flex to a iec line conenctor is ip rating

domestic wiring stuff has to be ip4x iirc (protection against solid objects over 1.5mm iirc) and im not sure an iec line connector is (the line connectors are never shuttered and it depends a lot on exactly what mesurement they take as it is a rectangular slot)

having said that its definately no more unsafe wrigin one in than leaving it plugged into a socket

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back