Strobing low voltage on dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 switches controlling one lighting circuit, one of the switches being an intermediate. The lights are all low voltage 50w halogens. There are 5 in total on the circuit, each connected to it's own Tamlite ET60 electronic transformer (min 20w max 60w).

If I change one of the switches (not the intermediate) for a dimmer (min load 60w max 400w) I get a strobing affect from all the lights and some serious buzzing noises from the dimmer.

I'm guessing that by introducing the dimmer I am dropping below the minimum load on the transformers, does that sound right?. If so, would I be better re-wiring so I had 2 lights running from one transformer, or maybe even three and then change the bulbs to be 20w instead of 50??

Sponsored Links
yep - checked that - the transformers are fully dimmable and the dimmer matches the type required by the transformers.

I'm thinking it's a load issue - what do you think?

i am wondering if it is your dimmer since it says min load 60w. try another brand of dimmer

Sponsored Links
Try replacing dimmer , i have had experience of faulty switch straight out of the box in the past

Min load 60W.

His load is 250W.

Not likely to be a problem related to min load.

1) Could be a max load problem if the dimmer should be derated for ELV "transformer" use.

2) Could be an unconventional way that the 3-way switching circuit is wired, but I can't get my head round how it might be done in a way which would cause this.

3) Yes, could be a faulty dimmer. Try it on a 1-way circuit with a 100W tungsten lamp and see what it does....

i think he has got two dimmers in his multiway system and this is whats causing his problem.

Wouldn't it be incredibly stupid to do that, and incredibly stupid not to say so in the description?

sorry misread one of the switches as some of the switches :(

could still be a min load problem as the dimmer itself may not be compatible( needs to see at least a 60w resistive load), to prove this try loading up the output of the dimmer with say a 60w lamp aswell as the transformer to see if this stops the strobing. if it continues try the 60w lamp on it's own on the dimmer to prove you havn't got a faulty dimmer.

kendor said:
could still be a min load problem as the dimmer itself may not be compatible( needs to see at least a 60w resistive load),
He did say "the transformers are fully dimmable and the dimmer matches the type required by the transformers", which presumably means that not only can the dimmer cope with transformers, but it also has the right leading/trailing edge match....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back