Low voltage transformer BSEN 61558 for Three Kings fiber optic Christmas tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 24"/60cm tree is special because the colours change slowly and gradually. Its transformer was mislaid a while ago and I haven't been able to replace it.

The tree's base has a lead and 2-pin DIN male inline plug to fit into the transformer.

The instructions specify Transformer 6V12W, Motor rating 6V1.5W, Set rating 6V11.5W, input 230/240V mains.

Can anyone suggest where I could get a replacement transformer? N.B. I know nothing about electrics, so everything will have to be spelt out to me in layman's terms.

Sponsored Links
Your probably going to have to by a 6v =>2000ma power supply and chop the end connector off and solder on a 2 pin male DIN plug.

You need to source the right connector that looks like it will fit your tree and then buy something like this: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK661406.html (Don't forget to set the voltage to 6V!)

Normally the solid black wire from power supplies is negative and the black striped white wire is positive, but it is best to verify this with a Multimeter on the low voltage range DC setting if possible.

You then would need to cut of the standard jack connector from the end of the power supply, and solder on the 2 pin DIN connector. For the DIN connector, The round pin is most likely positive and and the Flat pin is most likely negative, but one could only be sure by opening the tree up and checking the wiring inside for correct polarity assuming the Tree takes DC current. If it takes AC, the polarity on the pins of the 2 pin DIN connector won't matter.

You may be able to get a DIN connector that uses screw/spring terminals what does not require soldering, but because the 2 Pin DIN connector is rather uncommon for power supplies to use, you are likely going to struggle finding a off the shelf replacement power supply for the one you lost.

Regards: Elliott

Your probably going to have to by a 6v =>2000ma power supply and chop the end connector off and solder on a 2 pin male DIN plug.

You need to source the right connector that looks like it will fit your tree and then buy something like this: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK661406.html (Don't forget to set the voltage to 6V!)

Normally the solid black wire from power supplies is negative and the black striped white wire is positive, but it is best to verify this with a Multimeter on the low voltage range DC setting if possible.

You then would need to cut of the standard jack connector from the end of the power supply, and solder on the 2 pin DIN connector. For the DIN connector, The round pin is most likely positive and and the Flat pin is most likely negative, but one could only be sure by opening the tree up and checking the wiring inside for correct polarity assuming the Tree takes DC current. If it takes AC, the polarity on the pins of the 2 pin DIN connector won't matter.

You may be able to get a DIN connector that uses screw/spring terminals what does not require soldering, but because the 2 Pin DIN connector is rather uncommon for power supplies to use, you are likely going to struggle finding a off the shelf replacement power supply for the one you lost.

Regards: Elliott

Completely disagree. You are almost certainly going to have to buy a 6 volt TRANSFORMER not a DC power supply. The motor will almost certainly require AC not DC.

Completely disagree. You are almost certainly going to have to buy a 6 volt TRANSFORMER not a DC power supply. The motor will almost certainly require AC not DC.

Or the motor inside could just as likely be DC (either directly DC from the jack, or AC rectified to DC via a bridge rectifier). Either way Winston, try and find a off the shelf transformer/power adapter that will fit his tree.

Sponsored Links

Or the motor inside could just as likely be DC (either directly DC from the jack, or AC rectified to DC via a bridge rectifier). Either way Winston, try and find a off the shelf transformer/power adapter that will fit his tree.

I did look but could not find one.

But I have a similar xmas tree which runs off a 12 volt transformer with an AC motor which is why I posted the above.

I have seen several brands of F/O Christmas trees (I used to work in an appliance repair shop), all were fitted with small synchronous ac motors as they are cheap and quiet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back