low wall of steps to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening to the Forum. Advice appreciated. How were the low brick walls of steps to the front door of terraced Victorian houses, tied in to the front wall? These steps usually went from the pavement and over the basement yard). I'm trying to cure damp on the inside wall. Thanks, Dean.

Sponsored Links
Not clear what you're describing, but do you mean the 'bridge' over a sunken area immediately in front of the house?

If so, it was usually formed by a brick arch, which would not be specifically 'tied' to the main wall, just supported by it.

deandiy61, hi.

I have had a look at a lot of these things, the so called bridge over the basement areas.

From what I have seen there are many, many differing ways that these bridges connected with the main front elevations of the property, some bridges butt up against a generally large stone, some have at times an externally sited beam that spreads the load, as for masonry ones, gust don't go there.

The connection between bridge and front elevation wall can and does vary from street to street within a town.

Is your bridge masonry or brick?

Any chance of a photo of the connection and internally?

Cheers.

Ken

They inevitably introduce penetrating damp into the house. Usually into the basement wall below, and occasionally into the hall by the front door.

As tony 1851, the ones i saw were arched masonry with the odd one or two supported off Victorian cast iron joists.

Sponsored Links
hello Ken and ree, thanks for taking the time. No good at pix onto forum . Two are brick with render over. Haven't yet taken off any render or plaster so can't see what arrangement. They do leak, I've got a third to sort out.
Thanks gents. Dean.

No good at pix onto forum .
//www.diynot.com/network/DIYnot/albums/67/180

Although that is a desperately cumbersome way to do it - a much easier and quicker alternative is to use an image hosting site, e.g. http://postimage.org/ (other sites are available) to upload your images.

Screen_Hunter_120_Mar_21_09_41.jpg

Some hosting sites don't allow direct links to the images, and make you use thumbnails, but if so the good ones will provide the code all packaged and ready to paste in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back