Lowering raised garden to create driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Moving house soon and one of the first things I want to do is excavate the front garden and block pave it for a driveway, the only problem is the garden is raised as you can see in the picture attached. I was thinking about keeping the wall at the front but dropping the garden to make it level with the current block paving, and building a retaining wall down the middle against my neighbours raised garden.

As you can see the driveway will be sloping, and without taking an accurate measurement I estimate the level difference between the top of the neighbours garden, and the drive at its lowest point, against the wall at the bottom, to be 43cm.

Will this require planning permission? I have read on forums that raising the ground level more than 30cm requires planning permission, however I cant find anything official about this, or anything for that matter about lowering the ground level.

Is anybody able to confirm or point me in the correct direction?

Thanks

Attachments

• driveway.gif
    driveway.gif
    286.9 KB · Views: 282
Sponsored Links
I don't think that lowering requires permission but the paving will do (probably)
It may make it easier if you choose a porous material - either brick or resin

Hi Tigercubrider, yeah i have looked into the permission for the paving. If i use permeable block paving such as that produced by Marshall's, or if I direct the rainwater to a soak away apparently I dont need permission. It was just the levelling of the ground that was concerning me permission wise.

Sponsored Links
A guy not so long ago posted on here, he bought a house and removed a big chunk of garden . Some of his posts were to do with the delivery of stone - so search for those posts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back