Lubricate Window Hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's a good way to lubricate UPVC window hinges? I've got a few that are mighty stiff to open! Grease? Silicone Grease or something else?

Same goes for an aluminium patio door, a bit of grease on the bottom channel thingy maybe but I can see it attracting the dust etc as its exposed when the doors shut.

Sponsored Links
used wd40 on mine....spray and leave awhile (5mins) and wipe off to get any dirt out...then spray again and leave..

Worked for me...

Just a thought..! do not push too hard on the windows esp if upstairs. One of mine broke a bottom hinge when it had been released and I just caught it before it fell 20 feet..

Al

What's a good way to lubricate UPVC window hinges? I've got a few that are mighty stiff to open! Grease? Silicone Grease or something else?

Same goes for an aluminium patio door, a bit of grease on the bottom channel thingy maybe but I can see it attracting the dust etc as its exposed when the doors shut.

If your windows use friction hinges then they will have a bit of........friction!!! You can adjust this by undoing the tiny brass grub screw in the nylon guide bush that slides back and fourth, one full turn either way is enough to either lock it up or make it glide like on ice, a bit of oil in the track never hurt as well.

As for the patio then i'd be inclined to lift it off its runner and spray the wheel bearings, white lithium grease is best, WD-40 is too thin and will run away in no time, spraying the track won't make it roll any easier ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back