Luck, does it rub off?

Sponsored Links
Susiejb said:
Are the changes of getting numbers one to six in a straight row equal to getting an assortment of numbers....

Funny you should say that because I don't buy lottery tickets; I just note that every time the numbers one to six don't come up, I've saved myself a pound. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

When I tell people this they often say something like, "But those numbers will never come up!" I could just as well reply, "then neither will yours". The chances of getting any six numbers are exactly the same as for any other six but it's a popular misconception that a spread of numbers will do better.

Or, when you say "in a straight row", do you mean "in the correct order"? That's much harder. Out of the 720 ways of getting the numbers one to six, only one would be correct so your chances of a win would be about one in ten thousand million! :eek: :eek: :eek:

But if you won with 1,2,3,4,5,6, you will probably share it with a lot of people (just as using memorable dates for your numbers will).

Whereas if you won with a more random selection (eg lucky dip generated), you stand more chance of being the only winner if you do win.

Susiejb said:
Are the changes of getting numbers one to six in a straight row equal to getting an assortment of numbers....

Funny you should say that because I don't buy lottery tickets; I just note that every time the numbers one to six don't come up, I've saved myself a pound. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

When I tell people this they often say something like, "But those numbers will never come up!" I could just as well reply, "then neither will yours". The chances of getting any six numbers are exactly the same as for any other six but it's a popular misconception that a spread of numbers will do better.

Or, when you say "in a straight row", do you mean "in the correct order"? That's much harder. Out of the 720 ways of getting the numbers one to six, only one would be correct so your chances of a win would be about one in ten thousand million! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It doesn't matter which sequence they come up in so it's still 14 million to 1.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter which sequence they come up in so it's still 14 million to 1.

Not exactly the best odds...I do agree Joe.

SC ...Thank you for the answer, the six numbers in sequence has always puzzled me .... so now I know :)

Here's an odd coincidence. I gave someone a phone number the other day and got it wrong (2 digits reversed) - she looked dead puzzled - I'd given her her own parents number. Dunno how you work the odds out on that one.

wobs said:
But if you won with 1,2,3,4,5,6, you will probably share it with a lot of people (just as using memorable dates for your numbers will).

That's true. If you play the lottery for real, you should avoid easy to remember sequences and anything that could be a date.

joe-90 said:
I gave someone a phone number the other day and got it wrong (2 digits reversed) - she looked dead puzzled - I'd given her her own parents number. Dunno how you work the odds out on that one.

On the face of it, the chances of finding a seven digit phone number by chance (let's not even think about area codes) are one in ten million less two, the two being the one should have given her plus your own. But the first three digits are a local area code and not all combinations are used so the probability goes up a lot. Moreover, if these three match, which is not unlikely if all concerned live nearby, the probability of giving her her parents number by accident increases to one in ten thousand less two. That's pretty slim, but a lot better than your chances of winning the lottery. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I never even had any to start with!
If I put a bet on a horse running in a one horse race it would fall at the first fence FFS!!!

Lester Piggot was mighty relieved you didn't bet on him then.

So, there is no luck from the above.

I put maybe £1 every 3 months into that machine after watching others putting in bundles

I did alright, so luck does exist.
As for the comment "luck comes to those that do not need it" ..........balls :evil:

LastMagicBean said:
I've always found in life, lucky people are always the ones that deserve it the least.

Alarm said:
As for the comment "luck comes to those that do not need it" ..........balls

Alarm has it right. Luck favours neither scroungers nor saints. It doesn't favour anybody at all.

Here's an odd coincidence. I gave someone a phone number the other day and got it wrong (2 digits reversed) - she looked dead puzzled - I'd given her her own parents number. Dunno how you work the odds out on that one.
Ask BT :idea:

LastMagicBean said:
I've always found in life, lucky people are always the ones that deserve it the least.

Alarm said:
As for the comment "luck comes to those that do not need it" ..........balls

Alarm has it right.

No he doesn't.

If you're assuming that was aimed at me, I said 'deserve' not 'need'.
Huge difference.
It doesn't matter anyway, my comment was based on real life observations.

Well mine was "real life" too.
And I have seen many who NEEDED it get "lucky".
I think your just jealous of others "luck".

There is the other idea, "luck is what you make it to be", so in that instance the "lucky" ones draw luck towards themselves.............perhaps that is what you actually meant?

And are still jealous.

Either way your luck is out, as both answers = jealous.

;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back