Magnaclean opinions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be worth fitting a magnaclean to my aging C/H system. The boiler has been replaced 2 months ago due to the old one breaking, with a new Worcester 24i. But the pipes and rads are getting on and we plan to replace them soon. BUT meanwhile would it be worth fitting a MAGNACLEAN to the existing system to protect the new boiler and also to make the system perform better. The system is piped in what i call MICROBORE and is around 25 years, and i didnt want it POWERFLUSHED when the boiler was changed in case it created leaks etc. So hence my question about a magnaclean. Sorry if the question is a bit nieve, but im not a plumber and like to leave it to the experts........... :oops:

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber either.

It is said that old sediment can clog a new boiler. It will certainly not do any good.

I've been very pleased with the Magnaclean I fitted to my mother's old system during the summer.

I started by bailing out the sludge from the F&E and moped it clean, replaced the ballvalve, and added a new lid and jacket while I was about it. I also fitted a full-bore drain-off for more through and quicker draining, and put lockshields with drainoffs on a couple of downstairs rads, and replaced a few worn, leaky or jammed valves and bleed nipples.

I did a plain-water flush and drain, then fitted the Magnaclean and let it trap all the loose sediment. This took a day or so. When the water was clear, I added X400 and it collected a lot more. It's now declined to about half a teaspoonful per week. I drained out the X400 and added X100 after a couple of weeks, however I have since learned that you can leave X400 circulating indefinitely, according to the makers instructions, and the Magnaclean will continue trapping whatever black sediment is loosened and circulating.

You have to add inhibitor and check for piping defects to prevent future corrosion.

It does not trap limescale, dead spiders etc so it is worthwhile doing a plain flush and drain to get them out. It is not as quick as a powerflush but I am satisfied that this method has taken out all the loose stuff, loosened a lot more, and the circulating water now looks very clean. It is no longer creating gas and does no need to be bled any more.

It took me a Sunday afternoon to do the fitting and draining, another to drain it off and change the old valves and bleed nipples which I had identified on the first visit, plus a few minutes to check and empty the Magnaclean whenever I call in.

So ppl, whats best, Magnaclean or a Boiler Buddy? I have a couple of systems where I need to install one, just curious which is better?

Al

i prefer the boiler buddy,i like the idea of installing it inline using pump valves. The magnaclean looks untidy in my opinion.

Each to their own, they both do the same job. The choice is yours.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back