Magnified Safety Glasses Suppliers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some safety glasses, something like the pic below, preferably not goggles but with a standard magnification of 1.75, I know you can get prescription ones but really, seeing as my eyes are pretty even I was hoping to get some off the shelf jobbies. Does anyone know of any suppliers that do standard magnification ones? Obviously I've worn goggles over my normal glasses but they're bloody uncomfortable and ususally fog up, especially when combined with a mask and for prolonged times, add some hot weather and it's unbearable. For woodworking generally - using a router or table saw etc.

16-300x170.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks, yes they are generally in 0.5 increments, 1.75's are hard to come by apart from online, I don't like wearing 2.0's and then switching back to 1.75 for my normal glasses and don't want to step up to 2.0's overall just yet as your eyes just get lazy and 1.5's don't cut the mustard anymore.

There are lots of helmet type visor combinations available that would allow you to use your own glasses, rather than goggles.

Sponsored Links
Thinking I might make my own, remove the lenses from my off the shelf readers and stick them to the back of a pair of non prescription safety specs. Not convince it will work, I suspect fine dust will get in between the two lenses which I'd never be able to remove/clean. Maybe if I can seal all around the lens it might work.

Or might just have to stump up the cash for proper prescription ones but they're about £100 I think.

Bought some of these clear side protection thingy's you stick on your own specs for a fiver, if they're crap I'll send them back:

ca065995-f7fa-42d2-ae9f-45cf7cae252e.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Do you have an Asda with a optical department in?
I know they have access to selling them to your prescription and are not overly expensive.
Safety glasses you mean?

The screwfix ones are no good as I need 1.75's, 1.5's aren't enough any more. Anyway I'll see how I get on with these side protection things.

Surely your current specs do not have the requisite impact rating?

Last edited:
Surely your current specs do not have the requisite impact rating?
Correct but as these are really for using the saws or sanding etc I'm not too bothered about impact it's more the dust and tiny bits flying up - its a judgement call. If I was gonna use a chain saw or something (which I don't have anyway) or similar I'd wear goggles + my glasses but I typically wouldn't be spending hours doing that.

Found a few pairs on the US Amazon site who will ship to the UK though still about £40, think they'll have to do if the silly side protection bits don't work.

Found a few pairs on the US Amazon site who will ship to the UK though still about £40, think they'll have to do if the silly side protection bits don't work.

Don't forget the import duty and VAT. Assuming 8% import duty and the regular 20% VAT, you are looking at £20 extra once the delivery company/clearing house add their fees.

The glasses, as safety ware, are probably rated at zero percent, but you still have to pay the 20% VAT when importing them. If you are VAT registered, you can claim the VAT back, if not, you can't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back