Main 24HE Intermittent flame failure from CH, but HW is ok?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm new here, have searched the forums for an answer but can't find anything the same as this problem. My Corgi plumber is running out of ideas and the manufacturers helpline is not being helpful, so as a last resort I'm posting on here!

- Boiler is a Main 24 HE (about 18 months old)

- The flame failure light comes on almost every day when the heating tries to fire up (although sometimes it works ok). It's starts to make the clicking noises but never gets going, after a few tries the boiler gives in and the 'flame failure' light appears.

- Quite often, the only way to get the heating on is to reset the boiler whilst running the hot tap, this then gets the boiler started and the heating going. Strangely, the hot water doesn't seem to have a problem in getting it fired up.

- The Corgi engineer adjusted the flame sensor down vertically slightly but this only temporarily helped.

- This has been going on now on and off for a few months.

- Just had the Corgi safety certificates and it passed ok.

- The plumber isn't sure what to try next, is this the PCB or something simpler??

Surely somebody has had this identical problem and knows what to do??

Many thanks in advance for any help :)

Bobby

Sponsored Links
You really need a boiler engineer rather than a plumber!

It sounds as if he does not know how to adjust the gas valve minimum and maximum output pressures.

Only about a quarter of CORGI people seem to know how to do it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the responses guys (or girls!).

The thermister has already been changed.

Not sure on the burner pressures. Does anybody know what these should be for this boiler??

I'm waiting for corgi man to call me back...

Thanks again,

Bobby

Hi

I'm new here, have searched the forums for an answer but can't find anything the same as this problem. My Corgi plumber is running out of ideas and the manufacturers helpline is not being helpful, so as a last resort I'm posting on here!

Bobby

Its common knowledge that "helplines" are not often that helpful unless its a very simple enquiry.

This website has some boiler experts who fix real boilers every day ( apart from Big Burner who is retired and just reads manufacturers brochures. )

I know exactly what the gas pressures should be but I am not posting that information on here in case it encouraged any illegal gas work.

Tony

Having looked at the Corgi Gas Certificate from 2 weeks ago, the 'Operating pressure in Mbar or heat input kW/h or Btu/h' reads: 9.5 (no unit stated).

The one for last years certificate read: 10.2.

Does this clarify anything either way :?:

Just found the manual, the pressure should be 10.2mbar so last year's was perfect, now it's currently 0.7 mbar below what it should be.

Could this be the cause of the problem then?

It is other factors than the maximum burner pressure!

There are minimum, ignition and CH settings to be taken into account by a competent CORGI registered person.

On this particular model they are very critical for the correct operation of the boiler and a very common cause of failures after the diverter valve and it's switch.

Tony

Hi I have a main combi 24 he boiler showing intermittent flame failure, though the problem has been getting progressively worse. I've had a plumber come and look at it. I think he checked the flue and the pressure. He then opened up the PCB. He seemed to connect the joints with a multimeter so the flame ignited. He suggested that the joints were weak which would explain the intermittent operation.

He has recommended replacing the PCB and the air pressure switch. I wasn't entirely clear on his explanation but he said he tested it by bypassing the APS and then not bypassing it; he seemed to suggest that the flame did not come on when he didn't bypass the APS and is concerned that the problem would come back if he didn't replace the APS as well.

Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis? Do I need to replace both the PCB and APS or could it just be one of the two?
Is £240 all in (parts £140 and labour £100) a reasonable amount to charge for this?
Does the whole PCB need to be changed or can you replace component parts?
Essentially, am I being ripped off?

Any help would be much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back