main 30CDI - pressure rising

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a main 30 CDI. The central heating pressure is at 1.5bar when cold rising to 2bar when the central heating is on, which is obviously normal.

problem is, ive just noticed that when my central heating is off and cold, and the pressure gauge is at 1.5bar, if i turn my hot water tap on, this suddenly makes the pressure gauge needle jump from 1.5 bar to 2 bar. when I turn the hot tap off, it suddenly drops back down to 1.5 bar.

now im not having any problems with my boiler but Im sure this is not right!! could this mean that something is on its way out??? any ideas guys please. would rather nip it in the bud before it goes caput

Sponsored Links
does anyone please have an idea what could be causing this as im worried something is going to fail on me an leave me with a non working boiler

During hot water mode the water is circulating round a much smaller circuit,in fact only inside the boiler.There could possibly be a restriction in this circuit causing sudden pressure rise.Is that a Worcester 30cdi?

Sponsored Links
He says that its a Main 30 cdi !

Since the customer is always right I will not argue with him over that.

Never heard of a Main 30 cdi before though.............

He says that its a Main 30 cdi !

Since the customer is always right I will not argue with him over that.

Never heard of a Main 30 cdi before though.............

sorry! my bad

its a main 30HE

It does indicate and internal restriction and more than likely in the plate heat exchanger.Can be DIY but not the simplest of jobs as the secondary heat exchanger has to be removed/cleaned/replaced.

If its working correctly my advice is to leave it alone!

Tony

If its working correctly my advice is to leave it alone!

Tony

thats normally a moto i have 'if it aint broke, dont fix it'. But if its going to lead to something serious that may end up costing me money, then I would rather nip it in the bud so what do u reckon I should do??

Quote:- what do u reckon I should do??
The only option if you wish to investigate this is to either start with the plate heat exchanger and go from there.If you have neither the tools or expertise to do this work then call in a repairman,or as suggested leave it for now.
Either way, there is a fault developing and its your descision as to when you get it fixed.There is no way of telling how long it will be before the boiler starts to breakdown.

Quote:- what do u reckon I should do??
The only option if you wish to investigate this is to either start with the plate heat exchanger and go from there.If you have neither the tools or expertise to do this work then call in a repairman,or as suggested leave it for now.
Either way, there is a fault developing and its your descision as to when you get it fixed.There is no way of telling how long it will be before the boiler starts to breakdown.

thanx for the reply mate. i appreciate it.

i may get someone in now before it goes t*ts up. Can u explain to me what you think is causing the problem with the heat exchanger so that I know if the plumber knows what he is talkin about when he comes. I know what a heat exchanger is, how it works etc but what causing this

thanx

He should be ale to work it out but I would suggest that the primary side of the secondary heat exchanger is blocking up with system debris.Consider fitting a magnaclean or similar to the system return.Your engineer will advise on these.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back