Main bathroom bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

My shower in the main bathroom is leaking from the top of the bath where the tiles meet the bath, it’s siliconed at the moment and tonight I decided to have a nice hot bath, it was only when I was lower and there was a lot of weight in the bath did I notice the bath moves lower than the tiles (about 3mm) which must be letting the water through when showering.

Can’t really get to the corner from under the bath to shore it it more, can this be repaired using silicone please? Or will one of those strip seals work better?

Ta

Sponsored Links
Redo the seal after loading the bath. Keep it loaded until cured. Better solution is to adjust the support higher.

No. To stop water from the shower seeping under the tiles is quite simple.
Remove all the grout/silicone between the bath and lower edge of the bottom tiles. Once all cleared away, fill the bath at least 3/4 full, (higher if you can do it without it going down the overflow).
Then run a new bead of sealant/silicone all the way around the bath top and between the tiles. Leave for 24 hours for the silicone to set before emptying the bath. Job sorted.

Thanks guys, I was panicking it was a big job, I will whack a lot more on this time as last time I went for the minimul look lol. Could you recommend some white silicone that really does not show mould if they exist please?

Sponsored Links
I've not come across a white one that doesn't get mould spots at some time down the line.
I tend to use clear silicone these days. Did round my sons shower about 4 years ago and still no sign of any mould on the silicone. Think it was EvoStik.

I would personally look at the bath fixing legs 1st, as these may need tightening up, then do as above by filling the bath with water, etc.

Personally, I'd disconnect the water supplies, take the overflow out the way, fill the corner with silicone where it drops and then prop the back corner of the bath up properly with a wooden T prop under the bath edge, fill with water and leave till set. If the bath moves that amount every time weight is applied to flex that section by 3mm or more, then IME, it will eventually burst through the seal.

Hi Madrab, tell me more about these props please, do you have a link please? I did a search but didn’t find anything. Thanks pal.

You make them up @con1_uk.

Take a length of 2x1 slightly shorter than the gap from the floor to the under side edge of the bath. Take another piece a few inches long and set it under the loose edge of the bath and then place the longer piece underneath and tap the bottom in towards the wall so it jams the shorter piece up tight against the underside of the bath pushing up the edge against the tile. Use some silicone in the gap before you lock the edge of the bath up with the prop to seal it at the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back