Mains Cold, Tank Hot To Bath Mixer Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installled a bath mixer tap with one of those shower attachments where you pull up a knob to switch to the shower. There is about 5 metres head on the hot and the cold is mains fed. When I tested this with hot only it was acceptible, but when I turn on the higher pressure cold the shower slows??? I am wondering if the cold is fighting the hot?

I considered a PEV (which seem to be around £70 so not something to buy on a whim), but worried that the shower pressure might be too low then... can you use a PEV and feed to a shower pump and them to the bath mixer perhaps?

Any thoughts/help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Fit an adjustable pressure reducing valve on the cold supply & ramp the pressure down untill you get an acceptable balance.

Try your local Plumb Center, ask for the Center Brand one it should be about £20 +vat

Sponsored Links
Cheers, do you know if I could them put this through a shower pump to increase the pressure if it's not good enough with the mixed hot tank and reduced pressure mains cold?

and this is where i step in....

You could pump the hot only to give you a balanced pressure with a single negative head pump that matches your cold mains pressure as close as you can. The reason for the negative head pump is so that the flow switches (in a positive head pump) are not closed back down with the mains pressure.

PEV would more likely be less expensive but i you still have problems this is the way to go.

cheers

Cheers, single negative head pumps seem to be incredibly expensive compared to the twin head versions?... am I missing the cheaper ones!

negative head pumps tend to come in more expensive than the positive head pumps but the singles should be less expensive than the twins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back