Mains power shower or electric shower

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering what the view is over which is a better shower?

Currently have an electric shower and planning to refit the bathroom and have a new boiler fitted, so may be the right time to switch to a mains, power shower?

The power showers I have used seem to have a better flow than our current electric shower but would I need a pump?

Sponsored Links
Couple of things to consider that may influence your decision.

I put in a new mains power shower in the summer. Absolutley lovely, fantastic flow and constant temperature and pressure.

BUT, I just got my half yearly water (metered) bill through. It is up 50% on the usual 6 monthly period. Consequently, heating bills have also gone up by about 25% consumption wise (price wise even more!).

Did a simple experiment (keeping plug in during a shower) and found it filled the bath between 1/2 and 3/4 full each time. 2 adults and 2 kids means 6 of these a day in my house.

10.5 kw electric shower in the en-suite uses a fraction of this but shower is not as powerful, and temp fluctautes if washing machine on, other taps in use etc.

So if bills are a concern then maybe look into comaprible flow rates etc to work out best choice. If bills not a concern then go power shower, much better experience.

By the way, in an effort to cut down on the water and heating costs I've now fitted a Mira Eco shower head. Seems to be reducing usage - using same experiment - without affecting quality.

themrx - interesting what you say about heating bills - hadn't thought about that, in terms of gas usage through the boiler - not metered for water so not a concern at the moment.

certainly, with the current mira electric shower, we can't flush the toilet when the shower is on :oops: hence part of the reason in considering a power shower - apart from the increase in flow :)

I guess once we choose the route to go down, we can't change if it doesn't suit us!

might have to consult her indoors :eek:

Sponsored Links
certainly, with the current mira electric shower, we can't flush the toilet when the shower is on hence part of the reason in considering a power shower - apart from the increase in flow
That doesn't sound good for your mains water supply. If you're thinking of getting a combi you need to make sure this is checked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back