Mains pressure hot water & heating system WHAT PRICE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Looking for some guidance on price for a new mains pressure hot water and central heating system. Were on mains gas.

We'd like the following:

megaflo cylinder 250l
Worcester boiler
12 rads

The job entails removing the existing system completly as we are in a 1930's house and most of the kit is very old. Nothing will be salvaged. We have wooden floors with access underneath. Nothing obscure or difficult about the job to be honest.

Been quoted as 5 days work for two plumbers working together and £13000 inc VAT to do the job!!!!!

This does not include joiner for any hatch work or sparky for control unit conection etc.

Im not in the trade but would like to think Im not in the dark with house costs etc, done a self build before and wife used to quote work for a building firm. Am I out of touch here, I think this is a ridiculously high quote.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Nice price.

I'll do it for 10k.

I fancy a nice holiday up in aberdeen. Should take me about 1 to 2 weeks.

www.*****.****

I'm not in the heating trade so I can't quote you for your install but I have however just had an install done myself by helplink.

The install was removal of an old multi point water heater, install of a new Worcester bosch 30cdi under the stairs. 6 radiators and a chrome towel rail, all new plumbing and a wireless controller/thermostat for the boiler and leccy and gas runs done and signed off. The install was £4k all in with a 10 year warranty The install took 2.5 days, one bloke the first day and two for the remainder.

Perhaps that will help as a comparison point. I will state though that although the guys didn't do a bad job I was not entirely happy and I am still waiting for them to aarrangeto sort out a pipe run they were suppose to re-route. (Installation was 2 weeks ago and I managed to get hold of the guy managing my install last week) I will be chasing that up.

Sponsored Links
My budgetary quote for the OP's job would be about £7.5k.

Of course a very remote location would be more.

For the other system about £4.3k

Tibbot your comment "Then get some others. This is a DIY/trade forum for technical advice" is ridiculous.

Whats the two main issues people have getting trade jobs done:

Getting the job done correct & not getting ripped off.

Anyone can price fixtures and fittings but they can't even begin to guess times for jobs if they arent in the trade or have any experience. Hence im on here asking people in the know if they think my quote seems correct or is way out.

See you didnt exactly have much of a quality answer to add!

Tibbot is largely right!

None of us know your location and some parts of Scotland are 1-2 hours drive from large towns where installers are usually based.

Then there come the physical aspects of the installation, flue positions and work required. Size and layout of property for pipework installation. All these are best assessed by an engineer inside your house!

People who reply on here are mostly engineers who would give you an idea of what they would charge in their area as I did.

The remainder are homeowners who mostly reply because they have a point to make. Either they think they got a very good deal or they think they were overcharged. A few will have had a poor quality job done. Many will be unaware of the quality of their job.

The best way to find an installer is always by word of mouth. But even that can be faulted. An old lady who had a pump changed might recommend an engineer when his technical ability does not extend beyone very simple faults.

A few quotes from local installers will give a general idea of local prices and neighbours will probably have comments to make on some of them.

Tony

Op, if it is a standard unvented install, (but few are), then it may well be on the pricey side.

Get a couple of others in, if it is a Worcester Bosch Boiler you want, then look on their website for accredited installers, you will get an extended boiler warranty. I am an accredited installer and I do receive leads from Worcester Bosch. I prefer these as the homeowner has done a bit of research and is a bit more clued up, compared to the quote gatherers.

Mike

Tibbot your comment "Then get some others. This is a DIY/trade forum for technical advice" is ridiculous.

Then perhaps you can ask the Mods to change the purpose of the forum.

Some will reply to questions, like yours, that have nothing to do with plumbing & heating and are purely about money. Personally, having never been 'ripped off' by any tradesmen, I'm of the belief that rogues tend to thrive on mugs.

BG ballpark for that type of work would be between 9k and 11k, including granite work if applicable.

Is the "granite work" the cost of drilling flue holes in granite walls?

Granite city etc.?

If so then how do standard diamond cores manage? Or do they have to be on a jig drill?

best advice OP is get a couple more quotes, it does seem a bit on the high side, but i don't know the location etc, i would charge somewhere in the region of £6k if it was local to me again it would depend on a site visit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back