mains pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may have been asked before but I cant find it on the forum. :cry:
I am having a combi boiler installed and when mains pressure was checked it was done inside from my kitchen taps and also from the outside tap. The surveyor said that my pressure was ok. The installers have started fitting to day and are concerned that the pressure inside the house is a lot lower than outside. They did not seem to know why this could be. Any ides? Would this make a big difference to the way my new boiler will work. One of the main reasons we are changing boiler types, apart from old age of the previous one, is that we didnt want to have to fit a pump/ power shower and was told that this type would be fine as it works on mains pressure.
Sorry about the long questions!
Many thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
i take it the stopcock is fully open or been checked as the outside tap is ok.

Yes, . They checked pressure on both taps inside and out and then the stopcocks before starting installation.

where did they check it from indoors as the garden tap comes off the same pipe as the kitchen sink.

Sponsored Links
This is where it gets a bit confusing. My outside tap is away from my house inside an outside toilet. I think that this is fed directly from the mains and has a seperate stopcock. The one indoors come under my stairs into my kitchen, then a stopcock, then up behind the old boiler up into the first floor and continues up to the loft to fill the old tank, which has now been removed.

now you say they are on different feeds.
apart from under the kitchen sink is their any other access to the mains pipe maybe under stairs etc maybe another stopcock thats slightly shut.

Whilst waiting for your reply I turned off the stopcock that I believe to be the main one and turned on my cold tap until it stopped flowing. I then went outside to try the tap and flushed the toilet, both worked, the toilet refilled twice and the tap didn't stop running. I am guessing that there is another stopcock hidden somewhere that is not fully open after these two supplies split from the mains. Tomorrow the fitters have to find the main gas pipe under the stairs so I hope there may be a stopcock there. Does this make sense?

Thanks for your help so far. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get home from work early enough to speak to the fitters myself and see if this has been resolved. I will post the findings tomorrow.
Again many thanks for now. :)

happy-127.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back