Mains stop cock tap top missing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

My stopcock (in the drive) is missing the tap top it just has the square spindle 6mm square.

Ok I know the real answer is to dig up the drive and replace it but does anyone have any ideas.

So I am looking for a tool that will turn a square spindle on a long extention bar ......HELP....

Andy

ps it's not the tap that uses the large square spindle as I have one of those keys and its far too large.

Sponsored Links
I think to solve your problem you may have to make a tool, which should not be too difficult. small plate with 6mm square hole secured to end of suitable pipe.
A lot depends on depth of hole and if it can be reached by hand.
You might be able to use the top of an old tap or stop cock
Regarding tools, I would be looking at tap wrenchs ( that is tap for making threads) which are adjustable with tee handle.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Great idea the tap wrench I have been thinking of all sorts but they are for a square drive !! :D

Thanks..

You can get "universal" tools for opening gas meter boxes etc, with 3 or 4 legs - they usually have a couple of sizes of square on them.
Monument do one but there are plenty of others.

You can also use a socket from a GOOD socket set where the sockets are the "12 point" variety, so they work on a square.

Sponsored Links
Seen a 4 in 1 tool today B & Q (£2 95) well in fact 2.
They looked indentical, but I noticed the small square on the silver one I would say was 4mm but the small square on the black one was I would say 6mm. should be easy to to secure to tube if necessary.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back