Mains Water from street leak. Advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Neighbour has noticed a small 'fountain' of water eminating about 4" above ground on his side and against the wall of my building.

We isolated our stopcocks in turn but didn't have any effect. Isolated the street taps in turn and isolating mine stopped the flow.

Assuming the leak is at mains pressure, I can only think that what we are seeing is only a small part of the volume of water now gathering in the ground(?).

I assume:

1. The water board won't have any responsibility to repair.
2. I need to get someone in to re-feed my house from the street.
3. I should look to install new pipework internally to the front of my house to connect to the new incomer and stopcock.
4. This may be covered on my buildings insurance?

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks.

p.s. Old incomer is lead. Can I install plastic for new pipework through house or is copper essential?

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the water company will do a first repair free of charge - particularly if you're not on a meter as it's in their intrest (if you are on a meter you're paying for everything thats leaked).

However if they don't want to help, but know that you have a leak, I believe that they can expect you to fix it within a certain period of time - but that my be a rumour I've heard rather than fact.

If you have to do it yourself you'll need a new length of blue MDPE pipe installed. Usually 25mm is sufficient, which needs to be installed at least 750mm deep.

I hope that helps you get started!

Thanks Jono,

Water company tells me it's my responsibility and I can't claim on buildings insurance either!

I've had a quote for the works you've referred to (new feeder from street and disconnection of old lead feeder) including trenching and making good. I'm only 3m from the street so the grand total will be £454.26p.

Quite reasonable I thought(?).

I'll be running new pipework to front of house where they will be providing the new stopcock.

All's well that ends well I guess (despite the bloody dosh that is!).

Thanks for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back