Maintain Block Bonding on top of foundation blocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have used foundation blocks which are 215 x 440 x 300 to get me up to ground level and now I planned on putting the usual size blocks 215 x 440 x 100 on top.

Due to the width of the foundation blocks (300mm) I cannot work out how the bonding could possibly work out if I were to try and maintain the bond between the foundation block course and my first course of normal blocks.

The only way I can do it is if I put in a block of about 220mm (I think I worked out) at the corners.

I just wondered what was normally done for the first course and whether I need to worry to much.

Visually I am not concerned as it will be rendered it was more structural.

The total dimensions of the conservatory walls are 4500mm x 3740mm

To maintain foundation block bond I have 2x 100mm at each end along the short wall.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should set the blocks out from the outer corners so that they work blocks and any cut is at the end near to the house, or under any door or window if that means less cutting as you build higher.

So down one side it will be half bond with the foundation blocks, but probably quarter bond on the return side, and then see what happens on the third side.

In short, just start with a full block on one of the outer corners, and bond that one with whatever is below it, and go from there.

Perfect, thank you Woody. I didn't realise quarter bond was ok but it makes sense now.

I just checked and it will all work out doing that. It leaves 1 cut along the short course of 120mm which I will stick under the doors.

Perfect :)

Any tips on the internal walls or do you just cut to suite on those?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back