Major Plumbing issues (septic tank full)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I purchase my home a couple years ago and used water unsparingly until we started having bad plumbing issues over the last two months.

This is a 3BD 2BTH concrete slab home with a septic tank and 2 people living here. The plumbing was backing up when taking long showers for about a week so I had the tank pumped. There was a grease backup right at the inlet to the tank so I thought I was ok after that. The next week we had a lot of family down on vacation (10 people) for a week. The slow draining continued about half way through their visit and got worst the week after they left. In fact the next weekend the system stopped draining at all for about a day and a half and we called a plumber. He snaked the house through the roof vent, said he found a plastic bag in there but the tub didn’t drain yet. He then removed a toilet and snaked from there, nothing. He then opened the septic lid, the tank was full. He immediately took my $400 and quoted me $3000-7000 for a new drain field. I do not have the money right now so I am stuck.

Well shortly after he left the water drained and only backed up during long showers again for the next week or so. Then it backed up again and we have water in bottom of the tubs for another couple days, then the water drained and remained slow but manageable for a couple weeks. Now a week after the last lock up it has done it again this time I notice something that I never noticed before and thought it was strange. With about an inch of backed up water in one tub and the plug in the drain of the other tub my girlfriend turned the water on in the kitchen sick and water came out of the overflows of both tubs and ran down into the tub. I didn’t think this would be possible and never saw this happen before. Typically if you turned the sink on while the tub is backed up the water would come up from the drain not from the overflow 10 or so inches higher.

So my questions are why would water come out of the overflow and is there something I can do to prolong the drain field until I can afford to replace it?

-Eric

Sponsored Links
First you need to establish if there actually is a drainfied very old ones are sometimes collapsed, are riddled with tree roots or have been dug up or filled in with activity over many years. If you have a drainfield and it is clogged the only way to restore is not to use it for 6 months or so. This allows matter in the drainfield to dry and rot away restoring the soakaway effect. The other way is install a seepage pit. Ultimately to get this right will cost anything up to £10,000 (if you include replacing with a modern bio tank).

You have to learn to differentiate between the septic tank not draining and the house plumbing being blocked and not draining into the tank.

What you have said makes me wonder which is the main problem in your case.

You could keep on having it pumped out until you can get the drainage sorted out!

Tony

PS We are in the UK with Tony Blair !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back