Make shift Steel roof repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My garage is a build on to the end of the house. No through access. It is 32/1000 steel sheets on metal pulins.It slopes away from gable end of the house into the Guttering. Slope angle is approx 10 Degrees The length of the sheets are approx. 5.2m. Underneath the Purlins is OSB nailed to Rafters that Run Horizontally across the width of the garage.. Its a cold roof and no insulation fitted The roof is approx. 25 years old . Gradually the roof has started to leak over the ten years that I have owned the house, with ominous wet patches showing in the OSB, and some drips coming through. All leaks seem to be in the last quarter length of the roof just in the 1~2 meters before the gutter. Been up and taken the metal profile that covers the end of the sheets and there is a lot of corrosion there. Crumbling in places. I cut a couple of sections of OSB out to get a look underneath, and was surprised to see that although the ends of the sheets are really bad, a bit further up the underside of the sheets still look to be in very good condition. I know that I will have to replace this roof at some time but was wondering if I could do a make shift repair to get through this winter by doing the following.

Cut along the sheets with an angle grinder just below ( approx. 150mm ) the 2nd to last Purlin before the gutter.
Remove the corroded ends of the sheets and slide short length of new sheet under the remaining length of steel sheet just past the purlin and refasten through both sheets to the purlin. Would I need that Butyl sealing tape to do this ?

Any Ideas or suggestions on this plan would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back