What's the proper way to do a pitched metal roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m planning to build a music studio in my garden.. I’m 80% there with the design, but need some advice regarding cladding the roof.
The plan is for a pitched roof design and I want to use either box profile or corrugated metal sheeting to clad it.

I’m thinking from an acoustic and thermal insulation perspective, to go for a decent thickness of PIR insulation between the rafters, then a layer of OSB on top, then a membrane, but I’m not sure of the correct way to then attach the metal sheeting on top.

All the manufacturers guidelines I can find for this type of material suggest attaching it to thick purlins, but they are all aimed at building a barn or workshop roof with no mention of wood sheathing or insulation below. I've found several videos on youtube (all from America), where people are using metal roofing on houses and are laying the metal straight on top of the membrane (on top of the OSB) and are also using foam packers at the ends, but I feel like restricting airflow beneath the metal might be an issue?

Basically my question is:
On top of the joists should I go OSB>membrane>metal roofing sheet or OSB>membrane>some sort of battens (or thick purlins)>metal roofing sheet.
I feel like any sort of horizontal battens will prevent any drips from running downhill, but having no battens might restrict airflow. What’s the proper way to do this?

Thanks,

Jamie

Sponsored Links
Sorry I realise I posted this in the wrong place.. can't work out how to delete it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back