makin bath panel framework advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am building framework for bath panel at weekend and am looking for any advice from those who have done this before, my main question is :

when securing the front panel which will be tiled i want to make this easy to come off in future by just removing grout and removing screws with cap on the end, how do i go about securing this before tiling and using these screws with cap ???

dont think i explained well but any advice is well appreciated

thanks

Sponsored Links
Fly - make the frame from treated battern, it just needs to be screwed together. Ok, how to tile the panel? Assume you're using exterior grade ply (moisture resistant). DO NOT use wall-tile adhesive to fix the tiles to ply - the tiles may not stick permanently.

Method:
Dry fit panel to framework to make sure of clearances, ease of fitting, etc.
Remove the panel from the framework and lay flat, we usually do this over the bath if space is tight or otherwise on the floor. This is where you tile. Fix the tiles to the ply using solvent GRIPFIL - apply the Grip in a square , say 10 to 15mm in from the edge, around the back of the tile and a dot of Grip in the centre. Set the tiles on the ply by sliding into position, position with spacers, allow to set. Remove spacers, lift panel into position, masonary drill through the tiles to provide holes for your chrome capped screws into the batterns, screw into position, put the caps on (otherwise the threaded holes will get blocked-up with grout. Then grout with waterproof stuff. When all is dry run a bead of decent silicon along underside of bath rim/top of panel intersection.

So you don't tile with the panel in situ.

great reply thanks, problem being i am not tiling it, i will speak to tiler re: bath panel
any more advice keep it coming cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back