Making a cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok probably a stupid question :(

I,m looking at building a T.V cabinet and was thinking os using 2x2 as a frame, four uprights connected top and bottom plus the shelves as well to give support

So here,s the problem i like the idea of a mortice and tenon joint showing but for the life of me i can,t work out how to join four sides together as if i put the sides like this how do i join the front and back if i already have a mortice joint where i,m planning to put another???
Was looking at the T.V sitting on top so was looking at the frame flat on top so i can have a nice surface

I hope this is not a daft question, and would like any advice you can give or a better way of doing this, i hate to see screws preferring to see just wood hence a nice mortice joint showing. :D

Thanks for you help

Martin

Sponsored Links
The upper rails being at the same level are normally made using stub tenons, although not being through tenons they won't show. If you want to see both the upper tenons, then the suggestion I'd make would be to use a crossed bridle joint in the tops of the legs and notch-out the "tenons", thus:

InterlockedBridle.jpg

I hope that makes sense.

The lower rails are much easier to deal with as the side rails and the front/rear rails would normally be positioned at slightly different heights (so that the side rails form "shelf ends" or "shelf supports" if you want) so there would be no problem of getting both tenons to show through.

Personally I'd go for the stub tenons at the top and offset the side/front+rear rails as the top will probably overshadow the upper joints in any case.

Scrit

I suspect that Scrit's characteristically elegent solution will prove a tad elaborate for an inexperienced woodworker.

Personally, I'd suggest that you use stub tenons which meet each other in the middle of the upright with a mitre.

Then, if you really want to see the tenon coming through, make false ones of around 5mm depth inlaid into the faces of the upright.

The visual effect will be the same, the strength of construction more than adequate, and the execution simpler.

Cheers
Brad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back