Making a Fire surround from Railway sleepers - any tips ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Im going to make a Fire surround from old railway sleepers.I want a old look to the house has anyone made one before to share any tips ??
I want the effect to be gothic / old looking so any help or pictures appreciated.Im putting an old wood burning stove inside and knocking out the chimney breast .

Sponsored Links
tip 2 install a sprinkler system to put out sleepers when they catch fire

seriously dont use sleeepers indoors for the afore mentioned tips (although said in humour they are true)

These tv shows have a lot to answer for!!

Maybe some chunky old reclaimed timbers would be a better option.

Sponsored Links
If you're going to do this find a timber reclamation firm and look for sections of reclaimed pitch pine beam - it will have more character than yellow pine. To gey a hewn look it may be necessary to hand adze the surfaces using and adze like these - wear steel toe-capped boots and take care. Adzes can remove toes very easily.

In any case technically you shouldn't recut railway sleepers because they were pressure impregnated with creosote when new - a substance now banned from use due to its' toxicity. Apart from which as HM said - they absolutely stink!

Another thought - if you want it to look old, why not a stone mantle/lintel made from recycled paving stones (the stone type)?

Scrit

Theres a firm here down the road from where i live who make furniture out of railway sleepers. Their tables and chairs are very heavy, we were going to have a bed made but i did'nt think the floor joists were strong enough :LOL:
Here they are http://www.jarabosky.co.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back