Reclaimed Railway Sleepers - Fireplace

No need to take that tone keenedge, like I'm some sort of ingrate. Unfortunately I dont have 24/7 access to the internet.

I'm no expert in DIY - in fact I'm a complete novice - and I am very appreciative of the excellent advice I've been getting from most people here.

I was kind of hoping for some straws to clutch onto, as it's not easy letting go when a lot of time, effort and money has already been applied to a lost cause.

Misterhelpful pretty much put the final nail in the coffin, and thanks for that link and info!

Foxhole, that craftsmanship on the coffee table is excellent, and that fire place is well cool.

Thanks again to those who actually gave advice.

Sponsored Links
foxhole (or anyone else who can answer), I am starting a very similar project to your fireplace, though the hole is bigger though am worried bout potential of the wood catching light from the logs in fire basket. What is the black stuff you have used for infill?

Sponsored Links
Had a look at the Wickes website and they don't appear to be fireproof? Below is my fireplace, and I had intended to just use wooden surround with a mantel and a panel underneath as the brick but do you think this will be OK with regards to burning logs in a fire basket? All help appreciated, thank you.

164000_163238_33565_41778680_thumb.jpg

The marble etc in Wickes is ok, heat generated tends to only affect the very inside edge of any surround.Would be better to move vertical timbers out a little.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back