Railway sleepers as a mantle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of using railway sleepers as a coal fireplace surround. Any suggestions as to their suitability. Also I need to cut a small rebate, what's the best way to do it?

How much should I expect to pay?

Any advice welcome

Please see forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
I would go for new oak sleepers rather than reclained ones as the old ones contain a lot of toxic chemicals.

If its a small rebate then a router will do, if larger then a hand held circular saw from each edge will probably be the easiest.

Jason

From experience old railway sleepers are murder on power tools as well. Definitely agree that an old sleeper is not a good idea for the reasons stated.

Try a test piece first. Creosote a piece of wood and leave it by the fireplace for that authentic sleeper smell.

Sponsored Links
It might be worth mentioning that creosote has been banned in the UK by the HSE.
As has the use of any wood that has been treated with creosote (specificaly railway sleepers) in any location where it is likely to come in contact with bare skin, such as parks and childrens playgrounds. seems that it has finally been proven to be very highly carcenogenic.

basic info here http://www.hse.gov.uk/pesticides/creosote.htm
for a full list of where creosote treated wood can and cant be used follow the link to the dti.

I don't know that the HSE bans anything, and the law only restricts the sale to the general public. I bet it's still used for telegraph poles.

All asbestos has been banned too, but only in this country is white asbestos considered to be so dangerous, the rest of europe doesn't see it that way. So has creosote been proved to be that bad necessarily? Food cooked at over 120 C starts to change to include acrylamide, a carcinogen. So stop eating.

Apparently if you are trade and have the appropriate bits of paper you can still buy it. The ban on DIY sales was an EU decision (Directive 2001/90/EC), not the HSE, although there's still some debate on the validity of the proofs used to support the ban/restrictions (if you're that interested Google "WPA", "Wood Protection Association" or "Creosote Council"). Personally I wouldn't want anything which has been steeped in creosote near a source of heat like a fire becuase it is bound to end up giving off a smell. I suppose it depends if you like the smell of creosote.

Scrit

Scrit said:
.................Personally I wouldn't want anything which has been steeped in creosote near a source of heat like a fire becuase it is bound to end up giving off a smell. I suppose it depends if you like the smell of creosote.

Scrit

That's ok, it will quickly become an integral part of the fire, with a nice smokey aroma :eek:

ever thought that old sleepers with loads of Tar in them may burn rather well if they get a piece of burning materal spat onto them!

Er......yes........., thats why they quickly become an integral part of the fire, with a nice smokey aroma :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back