Sleepers- Best way to keep them looking smart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, Just finished installing one run of new railway sleepers to create a barrier between patio and raised lawn. These have been treated in a brown stain as opposed to a green one.
Next thing i want to do is to stain them.
I bought an all singing all dancing end preserver, water repellant and oak stain from shed yesterday, Cost £24. Tried a test on a cut off although it looks good it just covers the railway sleeper in a dark brown colour and removes all sight of the grain.
I wet a sleeper yesterday and it looked superb, this is the look i am looking to re-create so i'm guessing a clear type varnish would be good. so with this in mind does anyone have any brand names that they have used before and are any good. Will need to be child and pet friendly as well

Sponsored Links
dont varnish them it wont last! You will probably be better with an oil

skybluescooby said:
does anyone have any brand names that they have used before and are any good. Will need to be child and pet friendly as well
Tung Oil is very friendly ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back