Making a fireplace chamber larger, building regs required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Northern Ireland, and my wife and I are wanting to remove our current cast iron fireplace, and install a wood burning stove in its place. We also want the opening made larger, by about a foot in height, and about a bricks worth either side.

We have been talking to a local stove supplier and they say that their HETAS registered installers can do this work during the installation of the stove.

I was wondering, will doing this require input from our local planning authority or building regs?

Additionally, the fireplace doesn't go straight up, but rather over to the left, where the fireplace upstairs is, so the chimney breast, fireplace and hearth above isn't diretly above the one we want to open further.

The chimney breast is internal and is at the party wall side with the neighbours (semi-detached)

Sponsored Links
If its the same in NI then the contractor can self certify the work for B Regs through HETAS.

"He's in love with rock 'n' roll, woah"

:LOL:

Thanks @frutbunn , I will try to get the installer to come have a look (if that's possible right now anyway given the latest...), and double check with them that that is the case for NI.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back